Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alternative Revenue Source


The buzz-phrase of pro-sports these days is Alternative Revenue Source. Indeed, we (the fans) need to pony-up to bring talented athletes to our sports teams to help bring so-called 'glory' to our respective cities. Nevermind that these multi-million dollar contracts are guaranteed despite injury and/or underperformance; it's the price we pay to have them play. Well actually, the NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, at least not in the same way as the NHL, NBA, and MLB do. Regardless, I just found out from my pal Dex that the Oiler's game tonight is only online*. If you go to gamecenter.nhl.com you will see that for the princely sum of $29.95/month or $149 total, you can tune in and watch your beloved oil slosh around on what they pass for ice in Tampa tonight**.

*Note to NHL: The Rogers Super-Sports Pak provides NHL Center Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, MLB games, College Football, College Basketball, NASCAR, OHL games, etc. for $29.99/month. And you can sweet-talk your way to a discount on that if you threaten to change providers (mine is a 20% discount on my TV services). I can't believe I'm saying this but Rogers is actually providing decent value in this case...

**Just found out (courtesy of Dex) that the Oiler's game isn't only on gamecenter; it'll be on Oilers.com. Not sure if it's free or not, but I still stand by my conviction that gamecenter is a rip-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment